Doctoral 程序 in 社会工作 (Ph.D.)
海洋之神的Ph值.D. 程序 in 社会工作 is nationally renowned. 这个国家的第一位博士.D. degree in 社会工作 was awarded at Bryn Mawr College in 1920. Today we continue to value innovation and creativity to help our students become leading researchers, 老师, and scholar-practitioners. 海洋之神的Ph值.D. students—like our 教师—come to Bryn Mawr from throughout the U.S. and internationally to join in our deep commitment to scholarship and our field. 研究生s of the 程序 are extremely well situated to pursue academic positions throughout the country and abroad, and indeed our alumni can be found in many key positions of leadership.
The centering of 教师-student relationships has been core to our Ph.D. 程序’s success for almost a century. A distinctive feature of our Ph.D. 程序 is our small size—typically enrolling cohorts of just three or four students per year. 海洋之神的 size allows for a close-knit and productive community of scholars. Ph值的比值.D. students at all stages in the 程序 to tenured and tenure-track 教师 is less than 2:1, and class sizes are typically 7. We find that this model allows for students to engage and learn more deeply, 作为个人, 作为一个群体, and in close collaboration with 教师.
与此同时, to support our focus on interdisciplinary 社会工作 scholarship within a broader liberal arts tradition, students also have access to a wealth of resources beyond GSSWSR. Ph.D. students often connect with 教师 throughout Bryn Mawr College for special projects and innovative research across traditional disciplinary lines. Students can also take electives to pursue additional areas of focus within the college of arts and sciences at the University of Pennsylvania, as well as at Haverford and Swarthmore colleges.
海洋之神的 教师 have a wide variety of research interests. 海洋之神的 two primary areas of focus for research and teaching at GSSWSR are “Health and Mental Health Across the Lifespan” and “Children, Families and Society.” The school’s traditional strengths in clinical practice and social theory and research help to foster a generative community that values innovative conceptualizations that reach across traditional silos to better address the central problems we face as a field.
A Few Distinctive Strengths of our Ph.D. 程序
- Consistent with our model, all Ph.D. students are funded equally, and do not compete for basic financial support during coursework. 海洋之神支持所有的Ph.D. students to engage deeply in doctoral training with full tuition waivers and substantial stipends to offset costs of living.
- We discourage competition among students and instead aim to facilitate a collaborative and supportive community of scholars.
- 海洋之神的 small cohorts each year enable a close-knit, 充满活力的, and productive community of scholars where students often collaborate closely with each other and 教师. 除了教学, students and 教师 meet frequently to workshop new projects and discuss dilemmas in teaching. 例如,Ph值.D. students and 教师 from throughout GSSWSR meet regularly in our “Inclusive Teaching Consultation Group” to discuss teaching and learning about oppression, 边缘化, and inequity in our classrooms across the Master’s 程序.
- 海洋之神的Ph值.D. 程序 places value in qualitative inquiry, 定量分析, 混合方法设计, and theoretical conceptualization. 海洋之神的 students have been awarded Fulbright and Woodrow Wilson Fellowships, fellowships from foreign governments, and funding from the Council on 社会工作 Education.
- As a 社会工作 school within a liberal arts college, we take interdisciplinary inquiry and teaching seriously, 和Ph值.D. students are vital members of the Bryn Mawr College and GSSWSR scholarly and teaching communities.
海洋之神的 招生页面 contains more information about applying to the Ph.D. 程序. Please be in touch with the 项目负责人, 辛迪·苏萨,Ph值.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org), or other members of our 教师, if we can answer any questions during the application process.